Tuesday, January 18, 2011

delicious Valentine's Day cupcakes

 I have finally found the most delicious chocolate cake recipe AND it's so easy to make. When I was visiting with my Mom last week Claire and I used this recipe and made some very delicious Valentine's Day cupcakes. (Sure we probably ate them all a full month before Valentine's Day, but now that we have such a great recipe we can make more for February 14!) We also made the icing that is supposed to go with this cake, but I found it way too chocolaty for my taste (and I love chocolate), so I made a similar one with much less cocoa powder.

Claire's birthday is just around the corner, and I really need to find a delicious recipe for a white/yellow cake. Does anyone have a favorite one that they'd like to share? I've tried so many, but haven't found a keeper yet.

Here's the recipe that we used, I've linked it to the Hershey's site in case you're interested in using the frosting that they suggest.

HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE' Chocolate Cake

Bake Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup (175 mL) HERSHEY'S® Cocoa
  • 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking soda
  • 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup (250 mL) milk
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour two, 9-inch (1.5 L) round baking pans.

2. Combine sugar with flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer, set to medium speed, for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.

3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans to a rack; cool completely. 

3 comments:

  1. Well lookie you! Very fun blog friend!

    I love that table with the mod podge. I have a table I was thinking of tiling but maybe I'll do that instead because I already have the stuff for it!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah ArenburgJanuary 21, 2011

    So now Matt is a big fan. Out of the two of us - he's definitely got the sweet tooth. I just like how pretty they look - he'd just like to eat them.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...